A student may petition an instructor to enroll in a course on a directed study basis.
- Instructors should refer students requesting a directed study course to the appropriate Division Chair.
- Any directed study course must be approved in advance by the appropriate Division Chair and Instructional Officer.
- Directed study courses will be approved only under emergency conditions or in instances when a course is not offered on a regular basis but is needed for a student to graduate.
- For a directed study course to be approved, a full-term lesson plan must be submitted in advance to the appropriate Division Chair and Instructional Officer.
- For a directed study course to be approved by the Division Chair and the appropriate Instructional Officer, the course should contain the same lecture time, course content, and testing procedures that is included in a regularly scheduled class.
- Once written permission from the appropriate Instructional Officer is received by the instructor, the student will be allowed to complete the course work on a directed study basis.
- The student is responsible for all course work as required in the traditional classroom setting.
- All College tuition and fee costs; registration, withdrawal, drop/add and other College deadlines; and the instructional rules and regulations apply to a class taken on a directed study basis.
- This privilege may be afforded the student under the condition that he/she has been unable to schedule the required course in any other manner.
- Approval is also subject to the instructor’s work load.