Education (Early Childhood & Elementary), A.S.
Length: Four Semesters
This program is designed for students who plan to transfer and major in early childhood, elementary, special education, media services or school librarianship.
DEGREE PLAN NOTES
Choose a full sequence of History or Literature.
- Choosing a full sequence of History will affect elective choices in Humanities, Literature, and Social Sciences - One Humanities Elective, ONE Literature Elective, and TWO Social Science Electives.
- Choosing a full sequence of Literature will affect elective choices in History, Humanities and Social Sciences - ONE History Elective, NO Humanities Elective, and THREE Social Science Electives.
- Choose ONE Humanities Elective if a full sequence of History is taken. Choose NO Humanities Elective if a full sequence of Literature is taken.
- Choose TWO Social Science Electives if a full sequence of History is taken, or choose THREE Social Science Electives if a full sequence of Literature is taken.
* Placement in MTH110 is based on test scores. See your adviser to determine which math class you need to take. If you did not place into MTH110, ask your adviser to help you develop a modified academic map.
* Placement in ENG101 is based on test scores. See your adviser to determine which English you need to take. If you did not place into ENG101, ask your adviser help you develop a modified academic map.
First Semester Essential:
- Students should be scheduled for an English course and a math course, depending upon appropriate placement, in the first semester.
Considerations for State Certification Testing:
- Upon completion of a Bachelor's degree program at any Alabama university, prospective elementary and early childhood teachers must earn satisfactory scores on exams required for certification by the Alabama State Department of Education. More information about those exams are available on the ALSDE website at http://www.alsde.edu. To prepare for the required CORE and Praxis Exams, students should consider the following course selections:
- Full History Sequence: HIS 201 and HIS 202.
- Social Science Electives: POL 211 and GEO 100.
- Mathematics Electives: MTH 231 and MTH 232.
* Consult the transfer institution or the STARS templates at www.coastalalabama.edu for additional information about degree requirements. Also, see an academic adviser for assistance.
* Students can also take SPH 107 in Fall Semester 1 in place of the Fine Arts elective, then take Fine Arts in Spring Semester 2.
* Students may also take a Fine Arts elective in place of SPH 107 if they took SPH 107 in Fall Semester 1.
Complete Graduation Application
Click here to complete the graduation application and begin the process of a review of your degree plan before your final semester.