A student grade appeal may be expected to occur on an occasional basis. The philosophy of the College is that such appeals be handled informally if possible. However, if it is not possible to resolve the matter informally, then a grade appeal must be received in writing in the office of the appropriate Instructional Officer by the midterm of the semester/term following the date the grade is issued. Grade appeals may only be filed if the student has completed the course and the term has ended.Students who withdraw from a course are not eligible for the grade appeal process.
All academic concerns relative to a final grade, except plagiarism, are subject to the steps outlined below. Please note that issues of plagiarism must be handled via the Judiciary Affairs Committee. Also, all issues related to plagiarism must be resolved before a grade appeal request can be addressed.
The following procedure for appealing a grade must be followed in the order listed:
- The student should first contact the instructor to request verification of the grade and how it was determined.
- If resolved satisfactorily, the matter will be considered closed. If the grade is changed by the instructor, the appropriate procedure for changing grades will be adhered to.
- However, if the student does not receive satisfaction from the instructor, the student should appeal to the Division Chair. The Division Chair will confer with the student and the faculty member, independently or jointly, in an attempt to reach closure.
- If closure is not reached by using the informal approach, the student may file a formal grade appeal to the appropriate Instructional Officer by the midterm of the semester/term following the date the grade is issued. The written appeal must state the name of the course, the reasons for the request, the dates involved, the name of the instructor who assigned the grade, and previous attempts at resolving the situation.
- The appropriate Instructional Officer will forward copies of the student’s request letter along with the instructor’s and Division Chair’s grade appeal response form and any supporting documentation from the student and the instructor to the Instructional Affairs Committee for a hearing. Members of the Instructional Affairs Committee will sit as the investigatory body. If the Committee requests additional information for the hearing, the appropriate Instructional Officer will coordinate the collection of information. After the written appeal is received, the Committee will deliberate and make a determination on the request within a reasonable period of time. The decision will be recorded in the Committee’s minutes.
- If the Committee’s decision is to alter the grade, the appropriate Instructional Officer will notify the instructor and the student, in writing, of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible. If the Committee’s decision is to deny the grade appeal, the appropriate Instructional Officer will notify the student in writing of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible.
- The decision of the Instructional Affairs Committee is final.