Liberal Arts - Music Pathway
Length: Four Semesters
The increased interest in the arts in this country has created expanding opportunities for people who wish to make music their profession. The music department endeavors to meet the needs of these people by offering the Associate in Arts Degree with a music pathway. It is considered advisable that the entering student be able to demonstrate reasonable proficiency on an orchestral instrument, piano, or in voice. Any music major (piano, instrumental, vocal) is required to perform on a jury exam and recital each semester.
*You must complete a sequence of literature OR a sequence of history, ( i.e. you either need to take two literature classes and one history OR two history classes and one literature class). Literature and history classes do not have to taken in sequence; in other words, the lower number class does not have to be taken first.
- If the literature sequence is not chosen, the students must choose 6 SH of Humanities electives from the following programs: ART, HUM, MUS, REL, PHL, THR, or Foreign Language.
- If the history sequence is not chosen, the students must choose 6 SH of Social Science electives from the following programs: ANT, ECO, GEO, POL, PSY or SOC.
* For "MTH 110 or more advanced," MTH 116, MTH 231 and MTH 232 do not meet this requirement.
* Placement in MTH110 is based on test scores. See your advisor to determine which math class you need to take. If you did not place into MTH110, ask your advisor to help you develop a modified academic map.
* Placement in ENG101 is based on test scores. See your advisor to determine which English you need to take. If you did not place into ENG101, ask your advisor help you develop a modified academic map.
*You must take 8 hours of natural science electives from the BIO, CHM, GEO, PHS, or PHY programs. You may take a sequence, but a sequence is not required. If you are unsure as to whether you should take a sequence for transfer, please consult the STARS Guide. All sequenced science courses must be taken in order, that is, with the lower numbered class first. The exception is Physical Science PHS111 or PHS 112. If you are certain you are not going into a science-related field, Physical Science is an overview of all fields of science and it might be a good class for you. If you are not going into a health-related field and you want to take biology, take BIO101 and BIO102. If you think you might want to go into a health-related field or a scientific field or are unsure of your transfer plans, take BIO103 and BIO104.
* MUP: You are required to enroll in one Private Applied lesson each semester, and must complete the sequence on a single instrument, or voice, to fulfill this requirement.
* MUL: You are required to enroll in one Ensemble each semester, numbered 180 or above, to fulfill this requirement.
* If you plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, consult the transfer institution or the STARS templates for additional information about degree requirements. Also, see an academic advisor for assistance.
Complete Graduation Application
Complete the graduation application and begin the process of a review of your degree plan before your final semester.