Nursing RN (with Practical Nurse Option) (AAS-NUR)
Program Locations: Bay Minette, Brewton, Fairhope, Monroeville, and Thomasville Campuses
Nursing and Allied Health Division
Length: Five Semesters
This is a full-time day program designed to prepare students to practice as competent registered nurses (RN) after passing the licensure exam. Students who successfully complete the first three semesters (45 credit hours) are awarded a Practical Nursing (PN) Certificate and are eligible to take the licensure exam to become an LPN. Licensure by the Boards of Nursing may be denied if an applicant has been convicted of a criminal offense of a felony, has abused drugs or alcohol, has a history of chemical dependency or mental illness, has been placed on the federal abuse registry, or has been administratively discharged from the armed services.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: To be eligible, applicants must be in good standing (minimum GPA of 2.0) at Coastal Alabama, have original transcripts from all schools attended in the Registrar’s Office, hold a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the academic core courses in the program or cumulative 2.5 GPA if a high school student without prior college coursework, and be eligible for ENG101, MTH100, and BIO 201.
Students are selected based on the following point system:
- Score on ACT with a minimum composite score of 18 required
- Three points are awarded for an A, two for a B, and one for a C in ENG 101, MTH 100, BIO 201, and BIO 202
- One point each is awarded for completion of PSY 210, SPH 106 or 107, BIO 220, and a Humanities course with a C or higher
- Three points are awarded for completion of a higher level Math or Chemistry with a C or higher (MTH 116, Mathematical Applications, is not a higher level Math course). Alternately, three extra points may be awarded for current certification in a health occupation that requires direct contact with patients, such as Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Certified Medical Assistant, Licensed Basic or Advanced EMT, Certified Dental Assistant, Certified Veterinary Technician, Certified Phlebotomist, or Certified Surgical Technologist. Proof (Copy of the certificate of completion) must be included with the application in order to receive extra points. Applicants may receive up to 3 extra points total for this section. Example: Applicants will NOT receive 3 points for a higher-level math and 3 points for being a CNA.
- Three points are awarded for completion of all eight general education courses required in the nursing program with a C or higher
- All applicable courses must be completed by application deadline in order to be awarded points.
A separate nursing application is required. Application deadlines, application packets, information sessions, and ACT registration dates are available on Coastal Alabama’s website. Once selected for the program, students are required to provide the following: drug screen, background check, physical exam showing ability to meet essential eligibility criteria, records of immunizations, proof of medical insurance and American Heart Association CPR. All nursing courses must be passed with a minimum of 75 (C) in order to progress in the program. A nursing testing fee will be assessed each semester.
It is highly recommended that students take the general education courses prior to beginning the nursing coursework. This is a career program designed for students to go directly into the labor market upon completion. Although some of the courses in this program will transfer to four-year institutions, this program is not designed to be a transfer program of study; therefore, it is not subject to the terms and conditions of STARS.
Suggested Prior to Program Admission
It is suggested that students complete general education courses required for the associate degree nursing program prior to program admission. Please note that Math 116, Mathematical Applications, does not fulfill the Math requirement. ORI 101, Orientation to College will be required for first time college students. SPH 106 or 107 fulfills the Speech requirement.
Suggested Prior to Program Admission
*A higher level math or chemistry may be taken to obtain extra points toward admittance to the program, but are not required.
MTH 100, or more advanced Math, and BIO 201 are required if not already completed with a C or higher. Please note that MTH 116, Mathematical Applications, does not fulfill the Math requirement.
A Humanities and Fine Arts elective is required if not already completed with a C or higher. This elective is not required for a Practical Nursing Certificate.