All entering students are assessed through a 3-level screening guideline process.
- Level 1: ACT Placement: all students who have taken the ACT within the last 5 years must make sure their scores are on file with the Admissions Office (251-580-2111).
- Level 2: High School GPA and course of study if (a) students did not take the ACT test, (b) students’ scores are over 5 years old, or (c) students’ scores do not meet guidelines. The students must make sure that the Admissions Office has their official high school transcript. Level 2 screening is based upon high school GPA and course of study.
- Level 3: Accuplacer Screening: if students do not meet placement requirements pursuant to the new guidelines for Level 1 and Level 2 screenings, then they will need to schedule a date to take the ACCUPLACER test. There is no charge for the first time students take the ACCUPLACER test. However, there is a $25 re-test fee afterwards. Students may schedule a re-test date any time after 6 weeks following their original test. However, students are limited to take the test only twice during their tenure at Coastal Alabama. All placement test results are valid for five years from the original or re-test date.
- Composite ACT scores are not used for placement in math and English courses.
- Students with a score of 17 on the subject-matter ACT may qualify for exemption from the co-requisite placement on the basis of GPA or Accuplacer scores. See Level 2 and Level 3 charts
Math Placement Guidelines for Scores over 20 on ACT
For use in conjunction with ACT math subscore of 20 or higher
Screening Level 2: High School GPA & Grade Markers
NOTE: GPA and grades earned cannot be older than 5 years.
Screening Level 3: Accuplacer Placement
If students do not meet placement requirements pursuant to the guidelines for Level 1 and Level 2 screenings, then they will need to schedule a date to take the ACCUPLACER.
Any student scoring 165 or higher on the GED College Ready exam is allowed to enroll in gateway courses, MTH 100 and ENG 101. The student is not required to take MTH 099 or ENG 099 unless the student voluntarily chooses to do so.