Veteran Benefits Program


The Veteran Affairs Office at Coastal Alabama Community College makes every effort to ensure that all veterans, dependents, and reservists receive their educational benefits in a timely manner. If you have any questions about applying for VA education benefits, please contact the Veterans Affairs Office located in the Financial Aid Office. For information, you can email or call 251-580-2292. For questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) at 1-888-GIBILL1®.

Students using VA Benefits are required to submit a Request for Certification of Enrollment to the VA School Certifying Official each semester if they wish to use their benefits.  Otherwise, classes will not be certified, and students will not receive their benefits. The form is available at the link above, on the Coastal Alabama website and in the Financial Aid Office.

Va Chapters For Educational Benefits

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill®
  • Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly Vocational Rehabilitation)
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11GI Bill®
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve
  • Chapter 35 – Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA)
  • Chapter 36 – Counseling Services
  • Tuition Assistance – for individuals currently on active duty and active reserve
  • State VA – Alabama GI Dependent Scholarship for dependents and spouses
  • More information (1-888-442-4551) or at

Description Of Chapters

  • Chapters 30, 1606, and 35 - receive benefits in the form of a monthly check; none of these chapters pay for tuition or books. Muskogee Regional VA Education Office determines eligibility.
  • Chapter 31 - pays for tuition and books and receives a monthly stipend, which is determined by their local office. The local office is responsible for getting an authorization form to the Coastal Alabama Veterans Affairs Office so that tuition and books can be paid for.
  • Chapter 33 - is for veterans, spouses, and children. It pays tuition (based on a percentage rating), provides stipends for books, and pays a basic monthly housing allowance. Tuition money is sent to the College, and the book stipend and housing allowance is paid straight from the VA to the student via check or direct deposit. To be eligible for the full housing allowance, students must be full-time the entire semester (including modules) and must have at least one on-campus course. If the student is less than full-time, the allowance will be prorated. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 7 credit hours to qualify for the housing allowance. For individuals whose eligibility rating is less than 100 percent, the housing allowance will be paid based on percentage (60 percent, 70 percent, 80 percent, etc.).
  • Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. This program offers up to 36 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and/or certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain conditions.
  • Chapter 36 - is designed to provide professional, educational, vocational and career counseling services to service members, veterans and dependents. This benefit is available to service members within six months of anticipated discharge, veterans within one year following discharge from active duty, and service members or veteran currently eligible for a VA education benefit and all current VA education beneficiaries. Students will need the VA form 28-8832 for counseling. Information about this benefit can be found by clicking here.
  • Tuition Assistance - is for active duty and active reserve only, not for spouses or children. Service members must apply through their service branch; links provided below. Upon approval, the service member must submit a Tuition assistance authorization form to the College’s Veterans Affairs Office. TA covers tuition and fees only, no books or housing allowance.
  • Alabama State GI Dependent Scholarship - is for spouses and children of a disabled veteran. The veteran must have a minimum 40 percent service-connected disability and must be a resident of the State of Alabama when he/she enlisted. If the veteran was not a resident of the State of Alabama at the time of enlistment, but he/she has lived in Alabama for five years or longer, then he/she may qualify. State VA pays tuition and a portion of fees and books. State VA does not cover $29 per credit hour of fees, nor do they cover remedial courses. Remaining balances can be paid for by cash or alternative methods of financial aid.

HOW TO APPLY FOR VA BENEFITS if you need help finding a VA form, click here.

New Applicants Chapters 30, 33, and 1606

  • Go to the VA website and complete a 22-1990 form to apply.  The process can take 30 days or more so apply early. The VA will contact the students by mail letting them know their eligibility. The College’s Veteran Affairs Office requires a copy of the DD214 (discharge notification), along with a completed Request for Certification of Enrollment form.
  • Chapter 33, Post 911 – submit a copy of their certificate of eligibility once it is received from the VA.
  • Chapter 35 – go to the VA website and complete a 22-5490 form.
  • Veteran students who have received benefits through Chapter 30, 33, 1606 or 1607, are required to complete a 22-1995 form. The Veterans Affairs Office requires a completed 22-1995, along with a copy of the DD214 and a completed Request for Certification of Enrollment. Chapter 35 established veterans will need to fill out a 22-5495 and submit it to the Veterans Affairs Office.

New Dependents for Post-9/11

  • Service member must go to the Department of Defense website and elect how many months of benefits they wish to transfer to their child or spouse.
  • Complete the application for benefits online at the VA website once the DOD has approved the request.
  • Submit the certificate of eligibility, once received, to the Veterans Affairs Office, if the veteran is applying for Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill®.

Established Dependents for Post-9/11

  • Complete a 22-5495 and submit a copy of their certificate of eligibility to the Veteran Affairs Office.

Tuition Assistance is for active duty and active reserve only, not a spouse or child. The service member will need to apply and have access to Tuition Assistance. Once approved, submit a Tuition Assistance Authorization form to the Veteran’s Affairs Office so tuition can be paid.

State Veterans’ Affairs

  • Apply at the Veteran Service Office within the county where he/she resides.
  • Go to the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs to locate the county number.
  •  Click the Find Your Veterans Service Office and click your county on the interactive map – the contact information will appear at the top right.

Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program (AGNEAP)

  • Used for tuition, educational fees, and books/supplies.
  • Must attend a public postsecondary educational institution in Alabama.
  • Awards are limited based on legislative appropriation.
  • Applications are available at Alabama National Guard units.

Vocational Readiness and Employment – funds are provided for education through the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Services Office.  Students need to call l (334) 213-1200, extension 4144.

Know your Options

Gi Bill® Comparison Tool is now available to assist veterans in finding information online about Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits. It is now easier to find schools and training programs available to education beneficiaries. The comparison tool makes it easy to estimate Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits. In addition, Veterans can find and compare information on our 10,000+ approved education and training programs, including estimated tuition and fee amounts and your projected housing allowance. Also available are each school’s graduation rate, student loan default rate and Yellow Ribbon participation. Together, the G.I. Bill® benefit estimator and school comparison information enable students to compare education options and make the best decision for their future. In the future, VA will add additional functionality to the tool, including the ability to compare up to three schools side-by-side

Veteran Employment Website

An Employment Center is available on the eBenefits website. This is the single federal source for veterans looking for new career opportunities in the private and public sectors. There are multiple tools and resources for job seekers and employers, including the Veterans Job Bank. Use the Skills Translator to translate your military skills to civilian skills.  There is also a resume builder that can make your resume available for viewing in the public and private sectors. This Employment Center is for:

  • servicemembers transitioning to the civilian workforce.
  • military spouses and dependents looking for employment opportunities.
  • G.I. Bill® beneficiaries transitioning from training to the job market.
  • employers looking to connect with high quality applicants.

In-State Tuition Rates For Veterans

The following individuals shall be charged a rate of tuition not to exceed the in-state rate for tuition and fees purposes:

A veteran using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill® – Active-Duty Program) or Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.  Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

Anyone described above, while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three-year period following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under either Chapter 30 or Chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.

Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b) (9)) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.

The policy shall be read to be amended as necessary to be compliant with the requirements of 38 U.S.C. § 3679 as amended.