Nursing Mobility (LPN and Paramedic to ADN), A.A.S.
Program Locations: Bay Minette, Brewton, Fairhope, and Thomasville Campuses
Nursing and Allied Health Division
Length: Three Semesters
This is a day program designed to prepare licensed paramedics and licensed practical nurses to practice as competent registered nurses after successful completion of the licensure exam. Licensure by the Boards of Nursing may be denied if an applicant has been convicted of a criminal offense, has abused drugs/ alcohol, has a history of chemical dependency or mental illness, has been placed on the federal abuse registry, or has been administratively discharged from the armed services.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: To be eligible, applicants must be in good standing (minimum 2.0 GPA) at Coastal Alabama, have submitted original transcripts from all schools attended to the Registrar’s Office, hold a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the academic core courses in the program, and have either a valid unencumbered Alabama Paramedic or Practical Nursing License. Pre-requisites are ENG 101, MTH 100 or higher, BIO 201, BIO 202, SPH107, and PSY210. Students are selected based on the following point system:
1. Score on ACT with a minimum composite of 18 required.
2. Three points are awarded for an A, two for a B, and one for a C in ENG 101, MTH 100, BIO 201, and BIO 202.
3. One point each is awarded for completion of PSY 210, SPH 107, BIO 220, and a Humanities with a C or higher.
4. Three points are awarded for completion of a higher level Math or Chemistry with a C or higher (MTH 116 is not a higher level MTH course.)
5. Three points are awarded for completion with of all eight general education courses required in the nursing program with a C or higher.
A separate nursing application is required. Application deadlines, application packets, information sessions, and ACT registration dates are available on Coastal Alabama’s website. Once selected for the program, students are required to provide the following: drug screen, background check, physical exam showing ability to meet essential functions, record of immunizations, proof of medical insurance and American Heart CPR. All nursing courses must be passed with a minimum of 75 (C) in order to progress in the program. A nursing testing fee will be assessed each semester.
This is a career program designed for students to go directly into the labor market upon completion. Although some of the courses in this program will transfer to four-year institutions, this program is not designed to be a transfer program of study; therefore, it is not subject to the terms and conditions of STARS.
NOTES: The following courses must be completed prior to program application deadline:
- MTH100, Intermediate College Algebra, or a higher level Math (Pre-Calculus, Statistics, or Finite Math)
- ENG 101, English Composition I
- BIO 201, Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 202, Anatomy & Physiology II
- SPH 107, Fundamentals of Public Speaking (SPH 106 is acceptable)
- PSY 210, Human Growth & Development
* LPN students who successfully completed the Alabama Community College System concept based PN curriculum within one academic year from start of the Mobility program are exempt from NUR 209. These students begin with NUR 211.
* The Humanities elective is required only if not already completed.